Thursday, December 19, 2013

Another books quiz: Houseguests, Welcome and Unwelcome

No guesses yet on the Christmas books quiz?

Here's another one.  The theme is Houseguests: Welcome and Unwelcome.  Can you identify the book, the series, or the author?  Answers will be posted soon.

1.  "Tiddly, widdly, widdly, Mrs. []; you seem to have plenty of visitors!"
"And without any invitation!" said Mrs. [].

2.  There was a chirpy noise, and a small striped Chipmunk appeared with a night light, and hoped he felt better?
It was most kind to []; it lent him its nightcap; and the house was full of provisions.

3.  That night more strangers came.  The next night there were more.  Ma said, "Mercy on us, aren't we to have one night in peace by ourselves?"
"I can't help it, []," said Pa.  "We can't refuse folks shelter, when there's nowhere else they can stay."
"We can charge them for it, []," Ma said firmly.
Pa did not like to charge folks for shelter and a meal,, but he knew that Ma was right.  So he charged twenty-five cents a meal, and twenty-five cents for shelter overnight, for man or horse.

4.  Her aunt was muttering as she swept, as if she were talking to herself...."How I'm going to manage everything myself, I don't know! Can't get anyone who wants to work nowadays!"  Swish, swish whispered the broom more slowly now.  It seemed to be growing tired.
"She doesn't want me here," thought Sally in despair.  "Now she has me and the house to take care of, and she doesn't like it."

5.  Then, in 1939, came the World War, and just before it came Cathy with a crowd of other children was evacuated.  She fell to the lot of old Mrs. Vining in Little Eggham, and that was bad luck, because Mrs. Vining was selfish and crotchety, and had no notion of making a child happy.  Still, Cathy would have found friends in the village, and things would have been very different, but for a bit of worse luck that happened on her very first day.

6.  "She's in the guest room," he said.  "Jet lag, more than likely.  She'll come down before long, I'm sure."
"You want me to fix 'er somethin' to eat if she does?"
"She ate two meatloaf sandwiches last night and drank a half-pitcher of tea, but I'm sure she'll want something before dinner.  Oh, yes-she doesn't eat flesh foods except on Sunday."
All he got from the other end was a stunned silence.

7. Occasionally she would say pathetically, “Whenever you are tired of me just let me know . . . I’m used to looking after myself.” There was only one thing to say to that and of course [] always said it. Though he did not say it quite as heartily as at first. Even []’s “clannishness” was beginning to wear a little thin; he was realizing rather helplessly  . . . that Aunt Mary Maria was by way of becoming a bit of a problem in his household. He had ventured one day to give a slight hint as to how houses suffered if left too long without inhabitants; and Aunt Mary Maria agreed with him, calmly remarking that she was thinking of selling her Charlottetown house.
“Not a bad idea,” encouraged []. “And I know a very nice little cottage in town for sale . . . a friend of mine is going to California . . . it’s very like that one you admired so much where Mrs. Sarah Newman lives . . .”
“But lives alone,” sighed Aunt Mary Maria.
“She likes it,” said [] hopefully.
“There’s something wrong with anyone who likes living alone, [],” said Aunt Mary Maria.
[] repressed a groan with difficulty.
8.  "And the Wild Wooders have been living in [] Hall ever since....and going on simply anyhow!  Lying in bed half the day, and breakfast at all hours, and the place in such a mess (I'm told) it's not fit to be seen!  Eating your grub, and drinking your drink, and making bad jokes about you....and they're telling the tradespeople and everybody that they've come to stay for good."
9.  Now the [P family] were only allowed to use the attic and kitchen.  M. lay in their big bed, bathed in their bath, sat on their chairs, ate and drank out of their flowered china, looked out of their windows.  She sat by the lamp and saw the shadow of the roses. She had []'s birdcage, and her feather broom.  If []'s hat had fitted on her head, you can be sure Emily would have given it to her.

10.  And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

4 comments:

The Apprentice said...

Your Christmas one is insanely hard!!
I can not remember any titles today.

1. The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle

2. The Beatrix Potter book about Chippee Hackee and the guy that gets stuck in the tree.

3. A Little House book

7. One of the Anne books

8. Wind in the Willows?

9. Rumer Godden's book about the dollhouse

10. The Bible

SarahL said...

Someone have pity on me and guess at #6! I read it recently, but I cannot place it or come up with a title.

SarahL said...

Ah ha! One of the Mitford books. I wasn't a huge fan of the books I read, but that section made me laugh out loud.

Karen G. said...

I was able to guess at the same one's as other--4 and 5 have me stumped, although I'm sure I've read #4.