Wednesday, January 01, 2014

10 Books That Stuck, by Mama Squirrel

Jeanne is asking for the names of ten books that stuck with us in some way.  I don't have the pile of books to take a nice photo like she did, but here's a very incomplete list.

1. Winnie the Pooh
2. What is a Family?, by Edith Schaeffer
3.  Tears of Silence, by Jean Vanier
4.  The Pilgrim's Progress
5.  The Tightwad Gazette
6.  Who Do You Think You Are?, by Alice Munro (very Southern-Ontario-gothic)
7.  The Blue Castle, by L.M. Montgomery
8.  The Educated Imagination, by Northrop Frye
9.  101 Famous Poems
10.  The Heart Has Its Own Reasons
11.  Brave New World.  Had to be in there somewhere.
12.  Material World, by Peter Menzel.

Which leaves no room for Charlotte Mason, David Hicks,  Jean Little, Jan Karon, Elizabeth Enright, Sir Walter Scott, Don Aslett, Narnia, Shakespeare, Rumer Godden, Ray Bradbury, Dickens, Plutarch, or Mother Goose.  But you can't have everything.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Pilgrim's Progress will be on my next list of ten. :)

Dawn said...

Winnie the Pooh. Definitely needs to be on my list. I didn't include it at Jeanne's blog because I was reserving it for my Unofficial Top 10 Children's Books list so that I could squeeze in other "adult" books. But we were just listening to the House at Pooh Corner in the car the other day and I was belly laughing out loud. How wonderful is it that my children adore it and beg for it over and over again and as an adult I am also fed by these wonderfully comical stories? I catch something new each time I read and hear them. You are right - that is what makes a book worthy isn't it?